Doctors recommend that people who have back problems sleep on a firm surface. The best mattresses for the back are, therefore, mattresses with a medium / high firmness. At present, there are a wide variety of mattresses in the market with different firmness ranges: low, medium and high. At first, it may be difficult to get used to them but, once adapted to them, they will find them very comfortable and you will get a better rest.
A long time ago mattresses were very hard to relieve back pain, but the truth is that they were not the best. Mattresses that do not yield to the pressure of the body end up causing great pressure on the bones that can lead to inflammation, especially in the hip and shoulders if you sleep on your side, and in the lower back if you sleep on your back.
Recommended mattresses for back problems
The viscoelastic has the property of adapting to the shape of the body, immediately recovering its original shape once pressure is no longer exerted. It adapts without sinking, thus achieving no pressure on the heavier points. Neither that there is a feeling that the mattress wraps, causing unnatural postures.
The viscoelastic mattresses have several layers. The upper layer is the viscoelastic itself. The thicker the mattress quality, the better the price will be. But this does not happen when we talk about comfortable pillows.
Top 10 Mattress For Back Pain
- 8 Inch hybrid mattress combines memory foam with the traditional support of an innerspring mattress for a...
- A plush layer of memory foam helps align the spine to minimize pressure points for increased comfort
- Three inches of ultra plush memory foam that conforms to your curves and hugs you to sleep
- Infused with temperature regulating gel beads that capture and dissipate heat to help prevent overheating
- Premium pressure-relieving memory foam and high-density aerated cool gel memory foam are combined together to...
- 39 x 80 x 14 inches (W x L x H)
- IMMEDIATE back and neck pain relief in the comfort of your home in as little as 20 minutes per day
- ELIMINATES the need for expensive treatments as well as therapist, masseuse and chiropractor visits
- Composed of 5 layers includes pocket spring
- Memory foam adapt to your body shape and temperature
- 1.5" top Comfort Foam layer, 2.5" inch High Density Foam Support layer
- 7.5" base layer of over 33% more individually wrapped coils assures no motion transfer
- BEST SOLUTION: Top Rated Mattress with over 90 percent 5-star reviews on Amazon, HD core relieves pressure...
- SOFT FABRIC COVER: Flex thread textile is easy to remove and wash, comfortable with natural cloud like feel -...
- Bamboo charcoal infusions eliminate odors and pull moisture away from the skin for a naturally hypoallergenic...
- High-quality transition foam infused with aloe vera creates a calming and relaxing sleep environment that...
- 🔺🔺 2-Layer Design 🔺🔺 - Our mattress pad features a unique 2-Layer Design: 1st...
- 🌟🌟 Highly Breathable🌟🌟 - Our Red Respira Foam with its unique ventilated...
- Vibration Massage-10 Massage motors provides soothing vibrating massage full body to help relief...
- Soothing Heat -Four heating pads target four heating zones in the upper and lower back, thighs, and calves, to...
How to choose the best mattress for the back
To buy the best mattress for the back we must let us advise by experts in the field. A suitable mattress will prevent us from suffering lumbago, contractures and poor sleeping postures, which will eliminate back pain produced by the mattress itself. But if our back problem does not cause serious mobility problems, we must bear in mind that there are articulated electric bed bases in the market. They will facilitate us, as much as possible, our day today. We must always choose a mattress that allows movement through the different lifting positions of the bed base and offers, in turn, the maximum possible firmness.
A mattress that is not suitable for us can worsen our back pains. In addition, the quality of sleep will be worse. A mattress that is comfortable for us will provide support and adequate rest.
There are no mattresses that eliminate back pain, but there are mattresses more appropriate for people suffering from these ailments.
A suitable mattress to take care of the back is what allows the spine to be perfectly aligned when we lie on our side and with its natural double “S” shape when we do it face up.
The viscoelastic has the property of adapting to the shape of the body, recovering, immediately, its original shape once it ceases to exert pressure. It adapts without sinking, making sure that pressure does not occur, but that there is also no feeling that the mattress wraps, causing unnatural postures.
The viscoelastic mattresses have several layers. The thicker it is, the better the quality of the mattress and the higher its price will be.
We can also add toppers. They are an upholstered viscoelastic sheet that is mounted on our current mattress to offer all the advantages and comfort of a viscoelastic host, all without having to change mattresses. They are used to give you extra comfort or to convert a conventional mattress into one with a viscoelastic layer.
We must take into account the following aspects when choosing the best mattress for the back:
1.- Personal preferences
There is no mattress with consistency, style, type or a particular shape that works the same for all patients with back pain. Any mattress that allows sleeping in a calm and comfortable way is a suitable mattress.
2.- Mattress components
You must pay attention to the height of the mattress and the composition and amount of materials it contains. Among its varieties, those with less firmness are latex mattresses, which have a medium firmness, as do viscoelastic mattresses. Finally, we have the spring mattresses, which would be the firmest.
There are also on the market those manufactured with natural components, such as wool and cotton mattresses, which are hypoallergenic and offer maximum comfort.
3.- Good support to the back
When choosing it, its firmness is important. The best option is to opt for a medium/high firmness because if you buy one too firm or too soft, they will not respect the curvature of the spine, as they tend to sink and can modify the curvature of the spine, which needs good support in all its structure. Areas of the greater weight of the body must have adequate support in order that the mattress does not sink.
4.- Choose a base with good structure
You must pay attention to the support of the mattress, since it must be firm and even, providing stability.
You should not buy a new one and place it on a sunken mattress, as it will also deform and will no longer be the best mattress for back pain. The base upholstered couches and are highly recommended for its firmness and stability provided across the back.
5.- If you sleep as a couple, buy a large mattress
If you sleep accompanied, you must buy a large mattress. You need comfort to rest properly and when you sleep as a couple you will move several times during sleep.
If you do not live with a couple, the mattress should have a minimum width of 90 cm but, otherwise, the width should be, at least, between 1.35 and 1.50 cms. The most common length will be between 1.80 and 1.90 cm, depending on your height. You should calculate about 10/15 cm more because some mattresses can measure up to 2 meters long.
6.- Choose the right type of filling for you
Nowadays there are many varieties of mattresses on the market: foam, latex, viscoelastic mattresses or springs. All have great functionality, but you are the one who must try it to feel maximum comfort when you lie down on it.