There are countless brands of dog food on the market. This turns the problem of feeding our friends into something relatively simple since we only have to choose the brand, look at the amount of food we should put in each ration and see if our dog likes it.
However, not all feeds have the same quality. A proper diet should provide an adequate balance between the different nutrients our partners need. Therefore, it is convenient to select a good feed. After all, it is the food that you will consume every day.
Top 10 Dog Food
- A taste of the wild with ROASTED BISON; REAL MEAT is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, protein...
- High protein ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working...
- Contains One (1) 33 Lb. Bag Of Pedigree Complete Nutrition Adult Dry Dog Food Roasted Chicken, Rice &...
- Complete And Balanced Nutrition Provides Optimal Levels Of Omega-6 Fatty Acid To Nourish Skin, And Help Keep...
- REAL MEAT FIRST: Blue Buffalo foods always feature real meat as the first ingredient. High-quality protein...
- FOR ADULT DOGS: BLUE Life Protection Formula adult dog food contains essential proteins and carbohydrates to...
- High Quality Protein Made With Real Pasture Raised Beef, Tailored For Adult Dogs To Thrive; Optimal Amino Acid...
- Premium Ingredients With Added Vitamins & Minerals; Fruits And Vegetables As Superfoods For Hard-Working...
- U.S. Farm-Raised Chicken is the #1 Ingredient
- Natural Prebiotics Help Support Healthy Digestion
- One (1) 31.1 lb. Bag - Purina ONE SmartBlend Natural Lamb & Rice Formula Adult Dry Dog Food
- Made with high-quality protein sources, including real lamb as the #1 ingredient
- A taste of the wild with SMOKED SALMON; REAL SALMON is the #1 ingredient; optimal amino acid profile, PROTEIN...
- Premium ingredients with added vitamins & minerals; fruits and vegetables as SUPERFOODS for hard-working...
- Contains one (1) 30 lb. bag of IAMS PROACTIVE HEALTH Adult Minichunks Dry Dog Food Chicken
- Veterinarians recommend IAMS - we've got your dog's diet down to a science
- U.S. Farm-Raised Beef is the #1 Ingredient
- Natural Prebiotics Help Support Healthy Digestion
- 27.5 Lb. Bag - Purina One Smartblend True Instinct Natural With Real Turkey & Venison Adult Dry Dog Food
- 30% Protein Content Helps Support Strong Muscles
Some basic aspects of dog food
Dogs have fewer taste buds than humans. It is known that they can differentiate between sweet, sour, bitter and salty. Probably their sensitivity allows them to differentiate between “I love”, “I like” and “I am indifferent”. However, they show preferences for certain canine foods, rejecting others without regard. In fact, they usually have very definite tastes and rejections and not always the most expensive meals are the tastiest for them.
Currently, the law requires dog food manufacturers to put a list of the ingredients used in the package, although this only gives us a rough idea about the quality of the food. For example, the proteins present in canine feedstuffs can come from products derived from meat, poultry, fish, soybeans, and cereals such as corn and wheat. These protein sources are not of the same quality or digestibility.
If the name of the product contains the words “beef, chicken, lamb, fish …” 95% of the dry weight of the product must contain that protein source.
A quality diet should provide an adequate balance of essential amino acids, which in the case of dogs are ten. To achieve this balance, the feed usually contains an adequate balance between proteins of plant and animal origin.
If your dog is deficient in amino acids, you will have a lack of appetite, impaired growth and other symptoms such as the appearance of gray hairs in the mantle, low levels of hemoglobin or decreased reproductive performance.
Commercial meals for dogs
We can classify commercial meals for dogs in three ranges:
- White range. They are feed without a brand name. They include the list of ingredients required by law but can not ensure that the food is nutritionally balanced or complete. They are cheaper feeds than mid-range or high-end ones because they use low-cost ingredients, such as animal by-products. In addition, the ingredients may vary from container to container, depending on the nutritional sources available at the time of preparing the food. They often have less digestibility. They should not be your dog’s usual food.
- Midrange. You can find them in most supermarkets and food stores. These companies spend time verifying the quality of their products. There are standards that verify the quality of these foods and that manufacturers include in the labeling of their products.
- High or Premium. These products are available through veterinarians, pet products stores and animal feed establishments. The ingredients used are very digestible and present nutrient levels between good and excellent. The ingredients used do not fluctuate and their manufacturers conduct market studies. Being high-quality nutrients, the dog will need less amount of feed than in the case of the other ranges, so, although its price is higher, it will last longer and can be comparable to the price of other brands.
Is the feed or canned food better?
Dog food can be found in can, semi-moist or in the form of dry feed. From the nutritional point of view, the choice of one or the other has little influence. Dry feed is less expensive and protects the health of teeth and gums. The canned must be kept in the refrigerator and has less durability.
What if I give him my food?
The leftovers of food and food for people stimulate the appetite of the dog but the calories obtained are not of the same quality as those of a specific food for him. Also, not all the foods that are good for us are good for our companions. If you are going to give him something of your food, inform yourself about the food in question and if it is adequate, give it as a goodie or as a punctual whim.
Good quality dog foods include abundant amounts of calcium, phosphorus, iron, trace elements, and vitamins, so you will not need to provide supplements to your dog unless your veterinarian tells you for medical reasons.
What are the best brands of dog food?
Next, we are going to analyze some of the best feed brands in the market:
- Taste of the Wild. This American company makes its feed without grains, with meats and complete fish (without by-products) and under strict quality controls. The brand uses meat and fish free of hormones and antibiotics and contains a high percentage of proteins. In addition, they include roasted meats that enhance the flavor and stimulate the dog’s appetite.
- Aloha Spirit. This Spanish brand produces hypoallergenic feeds without meat flours, gluten or cereals. Its products contain a high percentage of meat protein, accompanied by legumes and vitamins. It uses fresh ingredients of first quality and controls the traceability of its ingredients.
- True Instinct. Another commitment to a natural and balanced diet. It uses whole grains (brown rice, barley, and oats) and does not contain dyes or preservatives, artificial flavors, saturated fats or sugars. His philosophy is to approach the food that the dog would instinctively have if he lived in nature. In addition to whole grains, it contains high-quality meat from chicken, lamb or fresh salmon, fruit (apple and red fruits) and vegetables (broccoli, carrots, and peas).
- Eukanuba. Look for a balanced diet and use high-quality animal protein. Their testing processes conform to food standards for humans. This brand has become famous for having one of the most complete feed for puppies. It is a mid-range brand, not at the level of Acana or Orijen, which are high-end, but to others like Advance or Hills.
- Advance. Among the best of the mid-range, Advance is a quality feed whose main source of protein is lamb (15%). Another 15% is rice. It belongs to the old Purina brand.
- Royal Canin. This leading brand in the sector has been working with high-quality feed for many years and has a very wide range of products, including feed adapted to each breed. They have a team of veterinarians and nutritionists who provide well-balanced food for our friends.