When your dryer dies, you can always hang clothes and sheets out to dry. But let’s face it: In today’s rush-and-tumble world, many of us are looking for ways to save time doing laundry.
Consumer Reports’ latest survey reveals which dryer brands are the most reliable and just how likely owners are to recommend their dryer to family and friends. Our survey results are based on CR members’ experiences with 65,515 electric and gas dryers bought new between 2007 and 2017 that are not covered by a service contract.
And now, each model in our clothes dryer ratings has a rating for predicted reliability and for owner satisfaction: Our predicted reliability rating estimates the likelihood that newly purchased models from a given brand will break within the first five years. Our owner satisfaction rating reflects the proportion of CR members who are extremely likely to recommend the dryer they bought to friends and family.
Top 10 Gas Dryers
- 7.2 Cu. Ft. Aluminized Alloy Drum
- 3 Drying Cycles / 3 Heat Selections
- ✅ MODEL NUMBER: 279834 Dryer Gas Valve Ignition Solenoid Coil Kit
- ✅ EASY TO INSTALL: It is made exactly fit for most Whirlpool dryer model: 1053B0A, 1053B1A, 1653^0A, 1653^1A...
- This Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit Directly Replaces the following Part #'s: 12001349, 14201336, 14201452,...
- Quality you can Trust! All Snap Products are made with premium materials and are tested so they last.
- 2.6 Cubic Foot Capacity, Stainless Steel Inner Drum.
- Adjustable Timer Control ,PTC Heating Element
- 6.2 Cu. Ft. Aluminized Alloy Drum
- 3 Dry Cycles | 3 Heat Selections
- INDOOR DRYER VENT LINT TRAP - Double filter system captures lint and dust for healthier indoor environment....
- SAVE ENERGY - Clothes dry faster, saving time and energy. Savings increase in colder months by returning warm...
- Electronic control
- 18 lb capacity
- 14 Drying Cycles
- Powder Coated Drum
- Replaces Gas Dryer Valve Coil Kit Part Number 279834
- Save Time and Money- Quickly and inexpensively fix your dryer
Dryer prices vary, ranging from about $350 to $2,000, depending on the type, capacity, and features. And while doing laundry may be a mundane task, the dryer isn’t as humdrum as it once was. You’ll see multitasking dryers that allow you to dry two loads at once, all-in-one machines—front-loading washers that go straight into dryer mode—and dryers with movable control panels. This puts the controls in reach when the dryer is stacked atop a front-loading washer.
Manufacturers design some dryers so that they can be paired with the matching washer, but not all make a great couple. “The Best Matching Washers and Dryers” highlights the best from our tests. Here’s a tip: Pick your washer first, then the dryer. The washer does most of the work and is a more complicated machine.
Size Up Your Space
Most full-sized dryers are 27 inches wide, but increasing capacities may mean a dryer is 2 to 3 inches wider. Measure the space you have to work with and allow at least 6 inches behind the dryer for venting. Measure the doors into your home and laundry room, and any other possible tight spaces you may have to maneuver through. Note the machine’s height and control location if it will be under a counter.
We list dimensions in our clothes dryer ratings and note which can be stacked with a matching front-loader in the Features & Specs section.
If a quiet machine matters, consider models that scored Very Good or better in our noise tests. You’ll know they’re working, but they shouldn’t disturb you.