Invented under the aegis of NASA, memory foam mattresses are very comfortable and economical. Here you can see our recommendations for the best.
As the name implies, memory foam is a special foam designed to conform to the shape of the body when exposed to heat and returns to its original shape when it is no longer in contact with the body.
When molded into each body curve, memory foam mattresses offer extraordinary support, reduce pressure points and distribute body weight efficiently. Most memory foam mattresses are typically constructed with three or more layers of memory foam of various densities.
Top 10 Memory Foam Mattress
- Conforming Green Tea Memory Foam comfort and pressure relieving support for a better night's sleep, foam is...
- 3 inches Memory Foam, 2 inches Comfort Foam, 3.5 inches Airflow High density Foam, 3.5 inches Airflow High...
- Dual-layer mattress combines 2.5" gel-infused, ventilated memory foam surface + 7.5" high density foam base...
- Gel infused memory foam regulates temperature while conforming to the body to ease pressure points
- QUEEN SIZE BED IN A BOX: For deep sleep you've always dreamed of, this body-contouring memory foam mattress...
- SLEEP SOUNDLY: Designed with layers of memory foam for firm support and pressure relief. The support foam core...
- Conforming memory foam comfort and support for a better night's sleep
- Mattress layers include: 3 inches Memory Foam, 2 inches Pressure Relieving Comfort Foam, and 5 inches...
- Cool, Conforming, and Comfortable, Gel-infused Green Tea Memory Foam for a better night's sleep....
- 2 inches Gel-infused Memory Foam, 3 inches Comfort Foam, 3.5 inches Air-flow High-density Foam, 3.5 inches...
- 8 Inch hybrid mattress combines memory foam with the traditional support of an innerspring mattress for a...
- A plush layer of memory foam helps align the spine to minimize pressure points for increased comfort
- Premium pressure relieving memory foam and high density aerated cool gel memory foam are combined together to...
- 76 inches W x 80 inches L x 14 inches H; More resilient foam to prevent tossing and turning
- The Signature Sleep Memoir 12 inch mattress is made with a 4" top layer of comfortable Memoir Foam, followed...
- Comfortable, eco-friendly mattress to help minimize pressure on the body, distribute weight evenly and provide...
- Quality Medium Firm Mattress - offers ideal level of comfort and support for all sleeping positions. Perfectly...
- Unique Gel-infused Foam Layer - to better regulate temperature.
- 12 inch gel infused memory foam mattress keeps you cool at night and still gives you the support you will...
- 3 inches of gel memory foam, 2 inches of our unique design air flow sculpting foam. This is ideal for airflow...
- The top layer: Known as a comfort layer by mattress manufacturers, it is typically made of highly malleable and soft memory foam that quickly adapts to the shape of the body. The thickness of the comfort layer varies from 1 “(2.5 cm) to 6” (15 cm), with the majority being approximately 4 “(10 cm).
- Support Layer: Beneath the comfort, layer is a thicker layer of memory foam called the Support Layer. The role of this layer is to support the comfort layer and provide an intermediate cushion for the bottom part, or ‘Baselayer.’
- Base Layer: Finally, you have the base layer that is typically the thickest and densest portion of the mattress. The rigid base is designed to support the weight of the sleeper and ensures that there is sufficient support to avoid any flaccidity or low points.
Currently, as more and more companies try to differentiate themselves from their competitors, we see mattresses made with six or more different layers, but in the end, the layers tend to be in those three types.
How does memory foam feel?
Sleeping on a memory foam mattress feels different from sleeping on a spring mattress, and may take a short period of time for some people to adjust to differences.
- Temperature: In general, the most common complaint about memory foam mattresses is their tendency to sleep warmer than a mattress with springs.
- Response time: when you lie on a memory foam mattress, it can take a while for the memory foam to warm from the warmth of your body and mold to your shape. As a result, when you change position or move in bed, it may take a moment for the mattress to adapt to your new position.
Which is better: memory foam mattress or spring mattress?
Although there is no better single answer, memory foam mattresses offer some considerable benefits over their springs.
Memory foam is ideal for you if:
- You sleep on your side or on your back: because memory foam molds to the shape of your body, many side sleepers find these mattresses more comfortable than spring mattresses .
- Share a bed with another person or pet: memory foam is also a smart choice for people who share their bed with a companion or pet due to the ability of memory foam to isolate movement. You may remember a certain mattress advertisement where you drop a bowling ball on the bed without hitting the pins on the other side of the bed.
- Suffering from back pain: Doctors and health professionals recommend memory foam mattresses for their ability to contour the body and relieve pressure points. Double-blind studies show that patients with chronic back pain get the greatest relief from back pain in a mattress of medium firmness.
- You’re a bit heavier: unlike some spring mattresses that may have sagging, a thick (10 “+/25cm +) memory foam mattress from a high-quality manufacturer should provide a pleasant night’s sleep.
Memory foam is not ideal for you if:
- You often overheat at night: because you have a tendency to trap and retain heat, memory foam is not ideal for people who “sleep hot” or overheat at night. If this describes you, you may prefer a spring mattress , a latex mattress or a bed cooling fan .
- You sleep in your stomach: Many memory foam mattresses are too soft for many sleepers in the stomach.
How to choose the best memory foam mattress?
Density or firmness: when buying a memory foam mattress, one of the most important considerations is how soft or hard a mattress you like.
While most mattress companies will indicate the overall softness or firmness of the mattress on a scale of one to ten, you can also see the manufacturer listing the density measurements in the specifications of their products in terms of pounds per cubic foot (PCF, in English) or IFD ratings.
- High density :> 5.0 pounds per cubic foot
- Medium density: 3.5-5.0 pounds per cubic foot
- Low Density: <3.5 pounds per cubic foot
In simple terms, the lower the density, the softer the foam, while the higher numbers correspond to a firmer mattress.
While each person has their own preferences , doctors and health experts recommend firmer (denser) mattresses for patients suffering from back pain . In our family, a close relative who suffered from back pain experienced great relief when switching to a firmer mattress.
Are memory foam mattresses gas-free?
Memory foam mattresses with infused and traditional gel tend to detach for a short period of time. Once removed from its original packaging.
If your new mattress arrives packed and has not yet been allowed to empty gas, we recommend leaving the new mattress in a ventilated area outside your room until most odors have dissipated, when possible.
How long does a memory foam mattress last?
The useful life of a memory foam mattress depends very much on the density and quality of the memory foam from which it is made.
One way to ensure that your investment lasts is by selecting a mattress with a generous warranty period. It is common for basic level mattresses to have a guarantee of five years or less, while premium mattresses and luxury mattresses can be up to 20 years old for all the life you own the mattress.