Having hard water can cause many different issues in your home. Hard water can cause problems with your hair and skin. The elements found in hard water can also clog drains, pipes, and make your appliances work less efficiently than intended.
If you begin to notice that your clothes washer or dishwasher isn’t working as expected, it may be due to hard water conditions in your home. Having hard water is a problem that many people deal with, especially those with well water. This problem can be solved by adding a water softener to your home.
Top 10 Water Softener
- Fleck 5600sxt Digital on-demand Metered Water Softener with paddle wheel meter (BR5600SMS-SXTPW), Made in the...
- Black Structural 10x54" PG 2.5T (CH30579-03010203-30), 14"x34" black square brine tank with safety float, made...
- Fleck 5600Sxt digital metered control head
- 1.5 cu. Ft. Upgraded 10 percent crosslink resin
- HIgh Capacity long life 8% crosslink resin
- Utilizes compact turbine-electronic meter
- Fleck 5600 SXT Digital On-Demand Metered Water Softener with upgraded paddle wheel meter
- Free 1 inch Bypass Male Threaded Noryl Plastic
- Fleck 5600 SXT On Demand Digital Metered Water Softener
- 64,000 Grain 2.0 cubic ft of High Capacity Resin Pre Loaded in the tank
- Water softener, iron filter, all in one! high flow for whole house use!
- 64,000 grain capacity, fine mesh resin designed for high iron removal & long life
- Solves hard water problems without the need for chemicals, salt, or maintenance, while keeping healthy...
- Descales your entire water system and prevents scale buildup in pipes. Also ideal for tankless water heaters;...
- ✅ DESIGNED BY SCIENTISTS: We put together a team with over 50 years of combined experience in physics and...
- ✅ DRIVEN BY A REAL MISSION: Water is essential for hydration and therefore for life. It is also very...
- 12 month 100% "no quibble" Money-Back Guarantee + Lifetime Repair or Replace warranty.
- Easy customer installation on metal or plastic pipes. Helps prevent build-up of lime scale and dissolve...
- PURIFIES YOUR WATER, PERFECTS YOUR SKIN - High output universal shower filter with REMOVABLE, replaceable...
- A "MUST HAVE" - REVITALIZE YOUR BODY IN 1 WEEK: USERS SAY "AMAZING!" "Within a WEEK my hair became thicker and...
Why Do You Need a Water Softener in the First Pce?
A water softener is a device which would be much needed to a lot of households across the globe. It all comes down to the type of water which a family uses.
Municipal water supplies, in general, contain a number of minerals which render water to be “hard”. This type of water contains large amounts of dissolved calcium, magnesium, iron, and a number of other particles.
What’s Bad About Hard Water?
This leads to a number of domestic inconveniences and often some diseases. Hard water forces you into conducting more and thorough maintenance of your faucets and pipes. We will now take look into some of the main problems caused by hard water.
- Traces on your dishes and faucets – you will definitely see some soap scum on your dishes and your bathroom fixtures. On whatever surface you let the water dry out, it will leave behind a cloudy film. Basically, every consumer report on water softeners in 2019 will testify that this is one of the main issues with hard water.
- Your skin will feel it also – since some icky substance is left behind on surfaces, hard water will also make your skin feel a little bit drier and itchy. Soft water will prevent all this
- There will be build up in your pipes – the mineral substances in water are the main reason why you see some limescale inside your pipes or shower heads. This also goes for appliances which can be pretty sensitive to hard water. This buildup leads to significant deterioration of the whole water-related infrastructure of your home.
- Water heaters are threatened as well – hard water is one of the main causes of lower efficiency of the heating elements in water heaters. Not to mention that it might significantly damage many of the components unless timely maintenance is administered.
- Corrosion and rust may also occur
- Soap and shampoos are not as foamy – hard water can significantly reduce the lather of all hygiene supplies. They will not be as effective and you will notice less foam. Not a good sign, indeed.
- Laundry won’t be as visually pleasing – clothes often feel stiffer after being washed with hard water. They will not be as vibrant and there’s a chance you will see whitish spots on them.
The Benefits Of Water Softening Systems
Many of these are not only a convenience. They also happen to affect your family budget positively and will lead to good results when it comes to your healthcare. So here they are in no particular order. Skin and hair will be softer – the same goes for clothes as well. Since soft water treats your skin gently, it will also affect the fabric of your clothes favorably. The overall cleanness of your clothes will be increased
- Appliances’ life will be prolonged – The lack of buildup will always yield a great effect on the functionality of your appliances and devices which use water at home.
- Energy efficiency improvements – in relation to the previous point, an appliance will definitely use less energy when operational. Your heating bills should be lower but it’s not something you will necessarily feel right away.
- Reduction in some soap and detergent inefficiencies – the functionality of soaps is seriously compromised when mixed with hard water. Softer water will allow your soaps and detergents to be more effective thus reducing the amounts that you require.
- Surfaces will be stain-free – as mentioned above, you want to remove the cloudy residue which is left behind by hard water. A quick check on some good housekeeping water softener reviews will convince you that faucets can look quite shiny and glossy both on the outside and the inside.
The Most Popular Types Of Water Softeners
Now that we’ve made it clear why water softeners are needed in basically every household, we will become familiar with the types of water softeners you will find out there. By doing so, we will also determine the level of effectiveness of each type and you will better understand which softener might be best for you.
- Salt-Based Softeners
These are the most popular and pretty much “the classic” type of water softeners you will find out there. There is a wide array of products when it comes to various types of water filtration but we can always point to the classic ones the moment we see them.
These devices are also called Ion Exchange Softeners because this is the main process that takes place in there. We will get into more detail regarding how softeners work but at this point, we will just mention that salt is needed for the “softening” to take place.
- Salt-Free Water Softeners
Even though the name sounds exciting due to the absence of salt, we need to clarify that the effectiveness of this type of softeners goes nowhere near one of the types mentioned above. These are actually water conditioners and they will not remove anything from your water. They will also not reduce any of the hard water minerals.
The main goal of those water conditioners is to make it hard for the existing minerals to form a buildup inside your pipes. All in all, you will notice some relief when it comes to maintenance of faucets. Such water units will help you have a less lime scale and they are definitely better than having no water treatment. However, they aren’t exactly what you would call softeners.
- Dual Tank Water Softeners
Now, these are the “big boys” of water softening as they come in pairs. By that, we mean that you get two large iron tanks and a brined one. Such a system can be considered a heavy duty one and it is suitable for households with a lot of water consumption.