Aside from sun protection, moisturizer is arguably the most important element of any skin-care routine. “Moisturizer doesn’t just add water back into your skin, it also traps in the water you already have to plump it up and protect it,” Mona Gohara, a dermatologist at Yale University, previously told Allure. But try as we might, so often, the skin-softening process ends at our necks. That is, until now. “Your skin absolutely needs moisturizer,” says Gohara. “Your skin is the biggest organ in your body. It’s not bloody or gutsy, but it’s still an organ, and organs need water.” The easiest way to get the rest of your body in on the hydrating action? Slather on a luscious lotion that’s formulated specifically for dry, tired limbs
Top 10 Body Lotion
- [ ALL DAY HYDRATION ] Lightweight formula that provides 24-hour hydration and helps restore the protective...
- [ MOISTURE-RETAINING INGREDIENTS ] Formulated with hyaluronic acid to help retain skin's natural moisture
- Hempz Original Herbal Body Moisturizer 17.0 oz: Buy Hempz Body Creams Body Lotions - Shea Butter Ginseng help...
- Item Condition: 100% authentic, new and unused. Hempz Original Herbal Body Moisturizer 17.0 oz.
- Formerly known as "NIVEA Smooth Daily Moisture Body Lotion". You may receive either product depending on...
- 48 hour deep nourishing moisture
- Penetrates five layers of skin to heal dryness at the source
- Absorbs quickly into extra dry skin, including typically rough spots like heels, elbows, and knees
- Locks in moisture for 24 hours
- Made with shea butter and Vitamins E and B3
- Packaging May Vary
- 48 hour deep nourishing moisture
- MOISTURIZING BODY LOTION: Envelop your body in moisture with this creamy, hydrating blend. Massage generously...
- INDULGE YOUR SENSES with this ultra-hydrating blend from our Extra Creamy + Coconut Collection, enriched with...
- One 32 oz. bottle of Alba Botanica Very Emollient Coconut Rescue Body Lotion
- Nourishes and intensely hydrates skin
- Contains 2 - 32oz bottles
- Pure and natural-soothes and softens skin for the whole family. DIRECTIONS - Use generously on face, hands,...
- 12-fluid ounce of Aveeno Stress Relief Moisturizing Lotion to help you relax while providing skin with 24...
- Its unique formula includes natural oatmeal, an ingredient known for its skin-soothing properties, and...
When looking for the best body lotion, you should focus on the following things:
- Ingredients: Always go for items that contain all natural and organic products. This assures you of safety and good health.
- Feel: A good product will feel smooth on the hands and skin. It won’t leave a greasy or shiny appearance on the skin.
- No side effects: Avoid products that contain harmful or toxic substances such as sulfur, lead, hydroquinone. It pays to carefully read the label and focus on FDA-Approved products.
- Moisturizing effect: Compounds such as Panthenol, glycerin, and hyaluronic acid improve the hydration level and will make your skin well moisturized and smoother.
- Protection: It helps to choose lotions that will also protect the skin from the elements. Good products will contain ingredients like mineral oil, petrolatum, lanolin, and waxes.
- Smoothing Effects: Other than moisturizing the skin, the best lotion also improves the texture. Notable ingredients that help include jojoba oil, silicones, aloe vera, Shea butter, and Glyceryl Stearate.
What the best body lotion has
- Humectants such as glycerin, panthenol and hyaluronic acid. These hydrating ingredients draw moisture to the skin’s outer layer.
- Occlusive ingredients such as petrolatum (the most effective occlusive), lanolin, mineral oil, and waxes. These create a barrier over the skin to lock in moisture.
- Emollients such as silicones (dimethicone and Cyclomethicone), jojoba oil and glyceryl stearate. Emollients fill the gaps between cell clusters, making the skin feel soft, smooth and pliable.
- Other skin-repairing ingredients such as ceramides and cholesterol — components that healthy skin produces naturally — can help restore the skin barrier without irritation.
- No fragrances or dyes. These can irritate the skin. So can some natural ingredients, such as plant oils. All of our Best Reviewed picks are fragrance- and dye-free.
- An affordable price. The body lotion is meant to be applied all over the body, every day — hard to manage if a tiny tube costs an arm and a leg. The best drugstore body lotions are so effective, experts say there’s absolutely no reason to pay more.
- A pleasant feel. The best all-over body lotions and creams feel light, silky and greaseless. More intense creams and ointments for severely dry skin (such as cracked heels) may feel greasier due to their higher petrolatum content, but are still easy to spread and shouldn’t feel sticky.
- Pump or tube packaging. This keeps air and bacteria from degrading the moisturizer, according to skincare experts at Beautypedia — unlike jar packaging, which allows air and bacteria from your fingers into the moisturizer every time you use it.
- The right pH balance. Body lotions with certain ingredients, such as alpha-hydroxy acid for exfoliation, require the right pH balance for maximum effectiveness. Plus, a body lotion that’s too acidic or too alkaline can interrupt the skin’s natural pH balance (ideally around 5.5), breaking down the skin’s natural protective barrier and contributing to dry, flaky skin or visible signs of aging — the very issues you’re trying to avoid by using body lotion in the first place.
Know before you go
How dry is your skin? If your skin isn’t very dry, all you need is a good everyday body lotion or cream (see our Body Lotion section for the top picks). If your skin is really parched, or for severe problem areas such as cracked heels, you’ll need a more heavy-duty cream or ointment (see our section on Lotions for Very Dry Skin).
Does your skin become extra dry in the winter? Some users find that they need a richer, thicker body lotion to combat the dryness and chapping that often comes with cold temperatures. If your hands and other areas of skin tend to become chapped and cracked in the winter, you’ll want an ointment or thick cream with occlusives to protect your skin and seal in moisture.
Do you have skin cracks or open wounds? Conditions like eczema can lead to cracked — and even bleeding –skin. Somebody lotions cause a temporary burning or stinging sensation when applied to damaged areas of skin, but that doesn’t mean they don’t work. It’s a small tradeoff for a body lotion that offers relief from uncomfortable, itchy eczema and promotes healing, users say.