Buying a can of paint should be easy. But walk into any home center or paint store and you’ll see just how confusing the choices can get. Brand lines keep expanding, and the price might jump by $5 to $20 per gallon.
The good news is that the perfect paint for your needs is out there, and this buying guide will lead you to it. We test dozens of interior and exterior paints in a variety of finishes to help you find the best one for the job and your budget.
Top 10 Ceiling Paint
- This color-change, stainblocking paint offers excellent coverage for water stains, color changes and to...
- A unique coverage/dry time indicator makes application easier: paint rolls on with a subtle pink color that...
- Excellent Hide
- Spatter Resistant
- Frame with paint shield and roller cover
- The roller frame is 1-Piece molded plastic, only have the weight of conventional roller frames
- HOMERIGHT PAINT ROLLER: Painting your walls and ceilings has never been easier. Unlike traditional paint...
- EASY PAINT ROLLER: The new and improved PaintStick EZ-Twist is the perfect upgrade to the original PaintStick....
- Superior hide for a flawless finish. Ample open time ensure minimal lapping.
- Flattest finish offered by Benjamin Moore. Conceals common surface imperfections.
- A special water based formulation for touching up stains that appear on both textured and acoustical ceiling...
- Will not warp or sag tiles
- This product adds a great value
- Guaranteed for 5 years
- PAINT EDGING TOOL: Quickly and cleanly paints edges around baseboards, window trim, doors and ceilings
- HOLD PAINT IN THE HANDLE: The durable handle holds up to 4.5 ounces of material, allowing you to paint up to...
How to choose a good product
We tell you what points it is important to pay attention to choose the best product to combat cracks and leaks:
- You have to observe the yield per m2 and the expiration date. An expired product does not yield the same.
- Remember that a liquid membrane or an exterior waterproofing paint for walls is not the same as one for a roof. The same happens with the material: if our roof is made of bricks, we need waterproofing for bricks. It is fundamental to be attentive to these differences if we want to achieve a better result.
- Viscosity: this feature is key since it allows to analyze the flow resistance through mechanical action. The more viscosity, the better.
- Permeability and water absorption: These are two essential properties. They have to do with the ability of a coating to prevent a liquid through it.
- Flexibility in low temperatures: making a fold and subjecting the product to low temperatures can determine if it is a product resistant to the formation of cracks or the separation of the layers of the film.
- Accelerated weathering: when observing this property we value the changes that the coating can undergo after its exposure to adverse weather conditions such as intense sun, dew, water condensation, etc.
- Container stability: a test can be performed to analyze the change in the consistency and appearance of the product inside its container for a period of time.
How to apply waterproofing paint for roof
Knowing how to use paint is as determinant as the type of product. We tell you how to waterproof the roof step by step :
- Cleaning: the first step is to clean the entire roof until there are no stains of grease, dust, fungus or moisture. This is key because the paint needs a neat surface to adhere to. We can do it with a broom, water, detergent or more specific products. Then, let it dry.
- Repair: the next step is to repair all existing cracks or flaking. We can do it with the help of a spatula. The next thing is to apply a layer of plastic cement so that the product gets good adhesion.
- Sealer: Once the preparations are finished, we place a uniform layer of acrylic sealer with a brush. Its function is to adhere the paint to the surface. It is important to let it dry for at least 12 hours and not let it pass more than 24 hours before moving on to the next step.
- To finish, we pass the product with the roller without exerting too much pressure. The idea is to obtain a homogeneous result and let it dry. Then, we apply a second layer and make sure to cover any crack, drain or any installation with cables. Finally, we reinforce the contours with one more layer.
Choose Your Sheen and Color
Choosing a color is where some folks start. Color-matching systems have improved to the point where you can get close to the color you crave in just about any brand. The sheen can vary by brand, however, and that can affect your perception of color. So decide which sheen is needed for the job (you’ll see the pros and cons spelled out below), the color you love, and then the best paint for your budget. (Despite all the colors available, whites and off-whites remain the top-selling interior colors. With dozens to choose from, zeroing in on just the right white can be tricky.)
Pick Your Paint
You can choose the most beautiful shade, but if the paint is mediocre, the end result is likely to disappoint. Our tests find that economy grades of interior paint don’t perform well overall, and you may need to apply three or four coats to cover dark colors. Paints scoring Very Good or Excellent in hiding cover most colors in one coat. Most of the tested paints are claimed to eliminate priming.
And there you have our lineup for 2019, giving away all of our secrets. Again, knowing there are many choices you can make, today there is not an inferior paint that will not perform the way you envisioned. Our technology today has come to a complete about-face, providing all of us a premium coating.