Some have advanced options for determining the percentage of your weight that results from fat. Others can also calculate your body mass index/BMI – which measures the relationship between your weight and height.
Modern scales also come with an option of uploading your information to a computer or a smartphone, enabling you to track the changes in your body measurements over time. There are hundreds of bathroom scales available in varying shapes and sizes. This makes it daunting to find the best bathroom scale for your needs.
Upgrade your bathroom scale with one of these digital picks from the Good Housekeeping Institute. Whether you’re looking for one that measures muscle mass or body fat percentage, or you just need to track your weight, your perfect fit lies ahead. (Just remember to always take readings on a flat, even surface to get the best measurements!)
Top 10 Digital Bathroom Scale
- THE RIGHT CHOICE: Sometimes simpler is better. Get just what you need, without compromise.
- THE FEATURES YOU NEED: Large, backlit display & sturdy tempered glass top. See Product Description.
- Note - For best accuracy, please place the scale on a hard, flat surface. Avoid carpet or soft surface
- High accuracy - 4 latest-version high-precision sensors, using technology from Germany
- Know Weight Change: The scales for body weight comes with 4 high-precision sensors from Germany, it shows your...
- Super Slim Design: Durable 6mm tempered glass platform; Low battery and Overload indication
- RELIABLE READINGS in an instant-step on the auto-calibrated platform and receive accurate measurements in...
- PRECISION BUILT with 4 high-precision sensors, delivering results with a 0.2 lb / 3 oz accuracy resolution...
- Smart App Syncs with Fitness Apps - Over Millions happy global users, RENPHO App syncs with APPLE HEALTH,...
- 13 Essential Measurements - Scale shows body weight, data including Weight, BMI, Body Fat Percentage stores to...
- SYNC WITH FITNESS APP - Smart Body Scale with easy operation, download "FITINDEX" APP through Apple Store or...
- 13 BODY COMPOSITION MEASURING FUNCTIONS - Use Bio-electrical Impedance Analysis (BIA) technology, Wireless...
- BalanceFrom "Smart Step-On" technology - No more tapping or switching scale to turn on. Step on the scale and...
- Extra large LCD display with cool blue backlight and extra large font numbers - Easy to read from any distance...
- Balance From Smart Step-On Technology - No more tapping or switching scale to turn on. Step on the scale and...
- Large LCD display with blue backlit - Easy to read from any distance and in any light condition. Tempered...
- EASY TO USE: Immediate readings as soon as you step on. Auto-off, auto-zero, auto-calibration. Low battery and...
- SAFETY & COMFORT: Rounded corner design helps the scale to be scratch- and shatter-resistant. 6mm- thick...
- DURABLE, STURDY & STEADY PLATFORM- Made with 6mm thick tempered glass provides exceptional sturdiness; large...
- LARGE LCD DISPLAY & EASY TO READ- Large 4.3 inches LCD display with large numbers and bright backlit display...
Bathroom Scales Buying Guide
Bathroom scales are available in a myriad of types. Consider the following key factors when looking to purchase one.
Bathroom scale type
Despite the various bathroom scale shapes and size, they broadly fit into three broad types. They include traditional mechanical scales, electronic or digital and body fat analyzer scales. Making a decision on the best type of bathroom scale for your needs often comes down to how much you want to know about your weight and body.
Body fat scales
Besides measuring your weight, body fat scales are designed to display the percentage of your body fat, thus helping you to differentiate between fat loss and weight loss. Aside from this, some also provide further readings including bone density, BMI, and body water percentage. For accurate measurements, you will need to enter some vital statistics such as height and gender.
These scales simply measure body fat. They send a small electric current around your body, which moves slowly through fat and muscles quicker. This speed enables the scale to calculate your body fat and muscle density as percentages.
Digital bathroom scales, like mechanical scales, come in different styles but are designed to measure your weight. They differ from mechanical scales in their display, as your weight is displayed on an electronic screen in imperial or metric measurements.
Some digital scales have extra features such as user memory, which allows several people to store their data among other features. The scales are designed to recognize users and monitor the difference in weight between various people. Typical prices for these scales range between $10 and $50, with the price variance based on the extra features of the scale.
Mechanical bathroom scales only do the simple job of measuring your weight with no extra bells or whistles. Their display typically shows your weight in imperial and metric measurements at the same time. Mechanical scales cost between $5 and $40, with price variance based on the strength of materials.
Bathroom scales are basically designed for home use. Therefore, they should have weight capacities ranging between 300 and 550 pounds. Newer models typically have higher weight capacities, ranging from 350 and 450 pounds.
Small measurement increments
Measurement increments offer accurate readings. Therefore, a scale with small measurement increments increases the overall accuracy of your readings. Better scales often have increments of at least 0.2 pounds.
Other intriguing features you should keep in mind when searching for bathroom scales include several mode options, multi-user memory capacity, large display, and a suitably sized platform.
What to Look for in a Bathroom Scale
Precision: How precisely do you want your weight measurements to be? Analog scales and basic digital models tend to measure to the nearest pound or half a pound, but more advanced products can give you measurements within 0.2 pounds. If you’re just looking to generally track your weight, broad measurements may be fine, but if you’re a more serious athlete, you might prefer great precision.
Additional measurements: If you want to measure just your weight, a basic, inexpensive bathroom scale will do the trick. However, if you’re serious about fitness, you might want a scale that provides additional measurements, such as body fat, water percentage, muscle mass, and body mass.
Smart capabilities: Many of today’s newest bathroom scales include smart features. These scales connect to your home’s Wi-Fi and export data right to your smartphone. If you’re on a weight loss program or are carefully tracking your weight, these features may be beneficial. However, keep in mind smart scales are often significantly more expensive.