Steam cleaners are a relatively new entry in the market of home cleaning. They can be used on any type of floor and provide a deeper clean than many alternatives. For many buyers, one of the biggest appeals of owning a steam cleaner is that it offers a healthier, more green way of cleaning. If you’ve ever worried about all the chemicals in the detergents and cleaning solutions you buy, a steam cleaner can do away with that concern.
Top 10 Floor Steamers
- Sanitize your hard floors to eliminate 99.9Percent of germs and bacteria without the use of harsh chemicals....
- Power fresh deluxe steam mop has an On-Board spot boost brush to remove tough, sticky messes
- Packaging may vary
- Kills 99.9Percent of germs and bacteria
- The Shark Steam Pocket Mop turns ordinary water into super-heated steam to remove everyday dirt and grime that...
- Powerful steam on demand - natural mopping motion delivers super-heated steam in just 30 seconds, and dries...
- CLEANS LITERALLY EVERYTHING! Nobody likes cleaning! But with the help of the ThermaPro 10-in-1 Steam Mop you...
- CHILD & PET SAFE - PROVIDES 99.99% SANITATION WITH NO HARSH CHEMICALS! Super-heated steam is ready in 30...
- The power of steam made easy
- Effortlessly clean and sanitize with just water. Sanitization studies were conducted under controlled test...
- 【Super lightweight Mops less than 4 pounds 】with a swiveling mop head, It allows easy handling with little...
- 【Kids and pets friendly】floor steamer with no additive just pure water! It stop releasing steam when you...
- Steam Mop & Garment Steamer & Steam Cleaner & Sofa and Cloth Fresher All in 1 Steamer.
- Detachable handheld steamer for clothes and steam nozzle for tough cleaning on the kitchen, such as faucet,...
- On-demand variable steam control with 4 bar (58 psi) pressure to blast away dirt and grime
- Naturally deep cleans and sanitizes without the use of harsh chemicals ; PowerCord Plug Type :3-Pin Grounded
- ★【Variable Steam Control】 On-demand variable steam control with 4.5 bar pressure to blast away dirt and...
- ★【13 Versatile Accessories】 Equipped for steam cleaning jobs in and around your home including a glass...
- Buy Bissell, Save Pets. Up To 10 Dollars Donated To The Bissell Pet Foundation For Every Pet Product Purchase
- Vacuum And Steam Your Floors At The Same Time
7 Factors to Consider When Buying a Steam Cleaner
Your reasons for wanting a steam cleaner and how you plan to use it will undoubtedly influence which steam cleaner is best for you. To figure out which steam cleaner makes the most sense for your needs, these are seven of the main factors you should take into consideration.
1. Size and Weight
From commercial units to handheld, steam cleaners come in a pretty wide range of sizes, shapes, and weight. The overall bulkiness will vary on the type you buy, as well as each individual model.
Before you buy a steam cleaner, be sure to look at the dimensions and weight of the unit. Once you know the size and overall weight, think about whether you are willing to push around a large, heavy item, or if you prefer something more lightweight and portable. If you’re not comfortable carrying or pushing around a heavy steam cleaner, that could be a deterrent to ever using it.
Which type of steam cleaner you go with will have a significant influence on the price range you’ll be looking at. Handheld steam cleaners and steam mops can be found at very reasonable prices that won’t feel like a huge investment. Some models of the cylinder and vapor steam cleaners can get very pricey, but they’re useful for a wider variety of jobs and could potentially save you money on other cleaning products, as well as save you time in the long run.
3. Attachments & Accessories
Most steam cleaners come with a few basic attachments that you can use on different types of surfaces to help you sanitize different areas of your home. Most brands also offer more attachments and accessories for their steam cleaners that you can buy separately (or may come with some models).
If you want a steam cleaner that’s versatile and can be used for a large number of items, surfaces, and spaces, then consider what attachments come with each model, as well as what is available for you to purchase alongside it. Make sure, in advance, that whatever you buy will have the functionality or attachments for all the types of cleaning jobs you plan on using it for. What’s the point of buying a steam cleaner that doesn’t let you clean all the areas you want?
4. Water Tank Size
Just like an iron, a steam cleaner will only continue to produce steam for as long as there’s water to heat it from. For smaller steam cleaners, that often means having to refill your water tank more often, probably in the middle of your cleaning task. On the other hand, larger tanks will last longer, but they often take longer to heat up, so you’re stuck waiting to get started.
Decide which you prefer and keep an eye on the comparison between the size of the water tanks in different models you may be considering. Steam mops and handheld steam cleaners usually have smaller tanks and shorter heat-up times; whereas, cylinder and vapor steam cleaners have larger ones and longer times between refills.
5. Pressure & Temperature
Two related issues to consider are how hot your steam cleaner gets and how much steam pressure the product generates. Steam cleaners that have a higher temperature produce dryer steam and higher pressure, which is more sanitary, provides a deeper clean, kills more germs and, ultimately, is more efficient.
To make it even more complex, the temperature and pressure level the device can reach is important, but so is the consistency at which it can keep the pressure. If a unit is unable to consistently maintain the temperature and pressure level, then it will be less likely to cleanse your home as efficiently as you’d like.
6. Noise Levels
Steam cleaners are typically quieter than vacuum cleaners, but they all produce some level of noise and some of them can get pretty loud. If you’re concerned about how loud your steam cleaner will be, then consider looking for models that advertise being quieter than usual and check what reviewers say about the noise levels.
Some products may list a decibel level in their specs. If this is listed, it will give you a pretty good idea of how loud you can expect the device to be. Unfortunately, only a few of the best steam cleaners list the decibel level in their specs, so you may have to rely on customer reviews to get an idea of how loud your preferred model is.
7. Ease of Use
Often lighter models of steam cleaners will be easier to work with than heftier ones, but the larger types of steam cleaners can provide a deeper clean. It’s a conundrum that must be addressed by anyone that buys a steam cleaner.
If you’re worried about the discomfort of handling a large or heavy steam cleaner, then sticking with a smaller and easier to use model might be worth the trade-off. However, if you’re really wanting a device that can provide a deep clean, you may have to go with a larger device than you initially anticipated.
Extra Features to Look For:
Some models offer a continuous refill feature, which means they have two water tanks, so you can refill one while you’re in the midst of cleaning for extra convenience.
You can find models that mix two types of steam cleaners in one, like steam mops that also have a handheld steam cleaner or a vacuum /steam cleaning combo that also functions as a vacuum cleaner. For those who want to save on storage space in their closet, a two-in-one model may be the smart choice.