You can use them on thick and thin hair, as well as long and short hair. They can feel a little awkward at first, but it doesn’t take long to get used to having a head full of funky rollers. Unrolling the curlers is the pay off – those big bouncy curls are worth the time and effort. Whether you are ready to update your old case of hair rollers or you are trying them for the first time, this is the guide for you.
Top 10 Hot Rollers
- Exclusive Thermal Wax Core for Long Lasting Curls. The voltage is 120 VAC 60Hz
- Ionic Conditioning for Less Frizz + More Shine*
- Ceramic-infused technology - for heat transfer and long-lasting curls
- With a dozen rollers that come in jumbo and super jumbo sizes, you can create big, bouncy salon-style curls
- Achieve beautiful curls and waves with the Conair Compact Multi-Size Hot Rollers, perfect for any hair type...
- The Hot Roller set includes: TWENTY multi-size, tangle-free rollers: Eight ½-inch (small), Six ¾-inch...
- 20 velvety flocked rollers:6 small (¾"), 6 medium (1") and 8 large (1¼").12 velvety flocked jumbo rollers...
- Nano titanium rollers generate far-infrared heat for faster styling
- Compact Hot Rollers for Easy Storage & Travel
- Ionic + Ceramic for Less Frizz & More Shine. 10 Rollers in 2 Size: 5 Large (1¼"), 5 Medium (1")
- Creates dynamic and dimensional curls ranging from tiny and tight to big and bouncy
- 12 temperature settings for all hair types
- 5 jumbo, 1.5" rollers and super clips for smooth curls and voluminous waves
- Flocked velvety roller surface, Stay-cool end rings , Soft, zippered pouch holds rollers while heating and...
- Twelve tangle-free rollers to create long lasting big curls with a smooth volume.
- Heat Protection on all Hair Types with 2x more Flocking!
- Includes eight 2-Inch jumbo rollers with advanced ionic conditioning
- Features a fast heat up in just 2 minutes
- Compact setter in a soft fabric pouch; perfect for easy storage and/or travel
- For the love of curls - try Conair Instant Heat Compact Hot Rollers w/ Ceramic Technology
Your Ultimate Buying Guide
The hot rollers have similar features. What you choose depends on your hair and the style you want to achieve. If you have hair that is prone to split ends and frizz, it is in your best interest to look for rollers that use a combination of tourmaline and ceramic. These materials work together to heat the hair from the inside, so the outside stays shiny and healthy.
Other materials heat from the outside, so the cuticle of the hair can break resulting in split ends. Another good pairing of features to look for to keep the hair healthy is infrared and ionic technology. Like ceramic and tourmaline, this feature also heats hair from the inside. The infrared and ionic heat does not have to get as hot as the other types of materials need to be.
How to Choose the Best Hair Rollers for Your Hair
The best way to choose the best sets for your hair is to consider your hair. If you have thick hair that curls easily, you should be just fine with a hot roller set that has one temperature. If your hair is thin, you will want a set with several heat options. You should also consider the amount of hair you have and buy a set with the necessary number of rollers you will need.
You should also consider the technology that you want to use. If you are only using hair rollers for special occasions, then you can probably get away with a less expensive set that is made of plastic.
However, if you are using them on several times per week, then you will want to buy a set that uses the latest in hair-protecting technology like the ceramic, tourmaline, infrared sets. Also, the length of your hair should make a difference in the set you buy. Long hair needs bigger rollers than short hair.
Of course, the price is always a consideration, so get one that you can afford. If you travel, you should also look for a set that is easy to pack up and transport and comes with an electric cord that works with all voltages.
Why Use a hair Roller Set?
Hair rollers are one of the most enjoyable types of hair styling tools to use. They work on all hair types and they create beautiful curly hair. One of the best reasons to use a hair roller over a curling iron or a flat iron is because they are safer to use.
They create a luxurious type of curl that just doesn’t happen with curling irons. The pin-up girls from the 1950’s used hair roller sets to achieve those sexy, bouncy curls. The newest technology still allows for those voluminous curls, but they do it in less time and with less damage to the hair.
In addition, they are less likely to damage the hair, even as time goes on. Older curling irons made of aluminum frequently burn hair. Since curling irons get so much use, they do not last as long and they can have more problems. Hair rollers, in contrast, do not get as hot and they do not stay hot once they are put in the hair.
How to Curl with Hot Rollers Without Damaging the Hair Ends
Use a hair roller that has ceramic, tourmaline, infrared, or ionic technology instead of a hot roller that does not have any combination of those features. All of these features are favorites of professional stylists because they heat hair from inside, rather than from the outside. By doing this, the ends are less likely to split and the hair is less likely to dry out from the heat.
Plug in your set and wait until the indicator system alerts you that they have reached their maximum heat. Prior to rolling up the hair, apply a heat protectant product on the hair, then rolling the hair up from the end to the root. Some systems actually come with Argan oil because it protects the hair very well. Then, roll the hair and clip the rollers in place.
After you have clipped the hair in place, set the rest of the hair by rolling and clipping until you have rolled all of the sections you want to be curled. Then, wait the recommended time until the rollers and your hair has completely cooled down. Your hair will not set until it has cooled.