We spent 45 hours in research, videography, and editing, to review and find the best bargains and offers for this product. If you’ve ever wondered where you really come from – and how it makes you who you are – then a DNA test of your ancestors can help you fill in the gaps of your heritage. These panels work by taking samples of their genes (usually through saliva) and then analyzing them to determine their cultural composition. In just a few weeks, you could discover more about yourself than you ever thought possible. When users buy our chosen editorial selections independently, we can earn commissions to support our work
Top 10 DNA Tests
- AncestryDNA is the #1 selling consumer DNA test.*
- AncestryDNA can trace your roots back to 500+ global regions.*
- Easy-to-use at-home kit, no membership required. Personalized ancestry reports based on your DNA ready in...
- Now with 1,000+ geographic regions - the most comprehensive genetic ancestry breakdown on the market.
- Includes Ancestry Service PLUS more than 85 DNA-based online reports on Health Predispositions*, Carrier...
- Before purchasing, review important information at 23andme.com/test-info
- From the #1 selling DNA brand, AncestryDNA*
- New AncestryDNA Traits lets you discover 26 of your most interesting personal traits.
- Dog DNA breed ancestry testing kit: with a simple cheek swab you can do at home, wisdom panel uses the most...
- We test for over 250+ breeds, types, & varieties-the most of any test on the market.
- All Lab Fees Included for 1 Father and 1 Child. Testing Performed by an AABB & ISO 17025 Accredited...
- The DNA Direct Home Paternity Test INCLUDES 22 GENETIC MARKERS FOR 100% ACCURACY. Results completed in as...
- Discover your ancestry and find relatives you never knew existed on both your maternal and paternal sides.
- Get a detailed ethnicity breakdown with the most comprehensive list of ethnicities in the industry: 42...
- ✔️ ★★ WE HELP YOU TO EXTEND YOUR LIFE EXPECTANCY ★★: TellmeGen is the genetic test that provides...
- ✔️ YOU ARE UNIQUE, KNOW IT!: With the TellmeGen test you will be able to know which medicines are the most...
- WHAT TO EXPECT: A breakdown of your regional ancestry by percentage, going as far back as 500,000 years.
- CUSTOM VIDEO: Gain a unique view of your DNA results in a custom video of your ancestry journey with our new...
- ACCURACY GUARANTEED: We routinely check 20+ DNA markers. If necessary we will test more; whatever is needed to...
- FAST RESULTS: Fast turn-around time. It only takes two (2) business days after receipt of samples at the lab...
Here you can see the general characteristics to compare any type of DNA test:
- Language: It is the language in which you will receive the test results.
- Laboratory: It is the location of the laboratory. The closer you are to your country, the faster the tests will reach you.
- Sample: It is the type of sample that the laboratory needs. If it is a “swab” type it means that they will send you something similar to a swab for the ears (they call it hyssop) that you should rub against the inside of your cheek, while if it is “saliva” it means that they will send you a small boat in which you must deposit a little of your saliva.
Types Of DNA Analysis
Below we show you in detail the different types of DNA tests so you can know which one is the most suitable for you:
The autosomal DNA analysis is the most common test and allows us to know the origin of our ancestors. In this test, the first 22 pairs of chromosomes are analyzed. This is where most of our DNA is located.
We inherit half of our chromosomes from our father and a half from our mother. These chromosomes, in turn, come from our grandparents, great grandparents, and all our ancestors. This feature allows us to know our origins.
The mitochondrial DNA test is more specific and allows us to learn more about the ancestors of our maternal line. This is because the mitochondrial DNA, which is the one found within the mitochondria (a part of all cells), we only inherit it from our mother and it does not change from generation to generation.
In this way, the analysis of mitochondrial DNA (or mtDNA) allows knowing the ancestors of our maternal line of up to 50 generations. You should keep in mind that the mitochondrial DNA test is usually more expensive.
Y-DNA is the analysis of chromosome number 23 that we inherit from our father, the Y chromosome. Since Y-DNA is only found in men, this test cannot be performed on women. The Y-DNA test is a test similar to the mitochondrial DNA test, but in this case, it serves to know our paternal line. It allows us to better understand our parental ancestry without interference from maternal origins.
All these types of tests can be a bit confusing, so we have made a summary :
Most ancestral tests analyze autosomal DNA since that is where most of our genetic material is found. On the other hand, some companies also add mitochondrial DNA analysis to better understand the maternal line and Y-DNA analysis that allows us to discover the origin of the ancestors of our paternal line (the latter can only be performed in men).
The number of regions shown in the table indicates the level of detail given by the test results on the origin of our ancestors. The more regions the test offers, the more detail you will get about your geographical origin. For example, some tests could tell you that your DNA comes from the Iberian zone, while others will specify you with more precision of which area of Spain your ancestors were.
If you are interested in knowing in more detail the origin of your ancestors in Spain, 24 Genetics offers a higher level of precision in this region. Other companies such as Living DNA have more detailed information about the United Kingdom. In general, all tests cover all world regions
The size of the database indicates the number of different genomes that the laboratory has stored. The more genetic information you have, the more comparisons the company can carry out and the more accurate the results.
When the first ancestral DNA tests appeared, the size of the database marked the difference between the different companies that sold the test, but today most of the tests have enough information to offer you good results.
Upload Data From Other Tests
Some companies allow you to upload your genetic data to your database even if you have tested with another company. In most DNA test companies, they will give you, apart from their conclusions, your genetic material in digital format. With this file you can go to other companies to upload your data to its platform, thus increasing the chances of finding genetic matches with other people.