We do not intend to scare you, but choosing a baby car seat is no joke. If traveling by car already requires high doses of responsibility, when we take our small passenger the attention is multiplied by infinity.
Remember that, in case of an accident, what for an adult can be a small blow, for a baby can be fatal. So this purchase must be looked at with special care and, in addition, you have to do it before delivery, since you will probably need to take your baby from the hospital home.
Safety measures come first, but we must also ensure that our child is comfortable and rested to prevent the journey is a source of stress. And, of course, that the hitch, assembly, and adjustment of the chair are easy and comfortable. After all, we are the adults who are going to have to deal with the buttons and straps.
Top 10 Car Seat
- BUILT TO GROW: The 3-in-1 car seat built to GROW for extended use through 3 stages: Rear-facing 5-40 pounds,...
- SIDE IMPACT PROTECTION: The Grow and Go's side impact protection helps keep your child safe
- This convertible car seat helps protect rear facing infants from 5-40 lbs. and forward facing toddlers from...
- The Tribute LX meets or exceeds all applicable Federal Safety Standards, as well as Evenflo's Side Impact Test...
- 3-in-1 convertible car seat transforms from a rear-facing infant car seat from 5 - 40 pounds, to a...
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest, in one motion, to ensure...
- 2 Modes - Converts to Booster: Forward-facing Harness to Belt-Positioning Booster supports children 22-110 lbs
- 5-Point Harness with 50 lb. Limit: Holds child's body safely and securely in car seat
- This 2-in-1 Combination Booster Car Seat fitting children from 22-110 lbs. converts from a harnessed to...
- The Chase Booster Car seat helps protect harnessed children from 22-40 pounds(Height: 28 - 50 inches) and...
- Extended use lets kids ride longer: Rear-facing 5-40 pounds and Forward-facing 22-50 pounds
- Side Impact Protection
- For rear-facing infants from 4-50 pounds and forward-facing toddlers from 22-65 pounds
- 4-position extension panel adjusts to provide 5" additional leg room allowing your child to ride safely...
- 4-in-1 car seat gives you 10 years of use: seamlessly transforms from rear-facing harness car seat (4-40 lb),...
- Graco ProtectPlus Engineered helps to protect your little one in frontal, side, rear and rollover crashes.
- 4-in-1 Graco car seat gives you 10 years of use from four to 120 pounds
- Rear-facing baby car seat from 4 to 40 pounds
- All-in-One seat grows with your child from 5-100 lb, rear- to forward-facing and becomes a belt-positioning...
- Simply Safe Adjust Harness System adjusts the height of your harness and headrest; integrated harness storage...
Other Features To Consider
Chair weight and size
Measure your car well to calculate how much space you have for the chair, and calculate if in addition to the baby you need one or two seats in the back. If you have a side impact protection system (those small parts that eliminate the space between the chair and the car door), you may be interested in having both sides installed independently to gain space on the passenger side.
What kind of trips do you do
If they are only small trips around the city, with a little padding it will be enough, but if you consider long trips you have to pay attention to the comfort of the chair … or the child will start protesting sooner rather than later.
It is one of the main pieces, to which we have already dedicated its space in all model reviews. Notice that the recline convinces you so that the child does not throw his head forward when he is asleep: it is annoying for him and especially dangerous in case of an accident.
Check that you are comfortable riding the child in the car, that you can easily access and unbuckle the harness, if it has one, or pass the seat belt through the chair guide. And do not forget to check from time to time that the pieces have not loosened and are appropriate to the size of your baby, as it grows. If not, security systems are useless.
Of course, that it is washable, and also that it is easy to put on and take off. If you do a little maintenance and pass a damp cloth or wipe to clean from time to time, plus a soft bristle brush or vacuum cleaner, it will be easier than stamina but do not hesitate: at some point, you will want to put that cloth in the washing machine.
Car Seat Regulations
Current law says that minors of stature equal to or less than 135 cm must necessarily use child restraint systems in the rear seats of the car. Not to take the children correctly seated in the car with approved chairs is considered like serious infraction, with an economic sanction of until 200 euros and withdrawal of three points. They can even immobilize the vehicle.
Current regulations affect manufacturers, who must comply with the requirements to standardize their chairs, but this does not exempt users from using an approved car seat.
Currently, two regulations coexist, the ECE 44/04 and the most recent, the R129 i-Size, which entered into force in 2013. The latter is stricter in terms of security controls since the chairs that have this approval have also passed side-impact tests. They also facilitate anchoring it correctly since all must necessarily incorporate Isofix.