This time I have brought you a small analysis of 12 different sunscreens that you can buy. Here you will be able to know its main characteristics, as well as its advantages and disadvantages so that you can choose the best one for the care of your skin and that of your family.
Summer has arrived and what we most want is always to enjoy the sea and the pool, without fear of sunburn . Therefore, I decided to begin the task of researching more about sunscreens.
I found different types of protectors on the Amazon portal that I found quite effective and, therefore, I decided to prepare this comparison on the best sunscreens, to help you decide which one to buy.
Top 10 Sunblock
- Designed to stay on strong when you sweat, this high-performance SPF 50 continuous spray sunscreen protects...
- Continuous spray works at any angle for maximum coverage and delivers broad spectrum UVA/UVB protection that...
- Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Sunscreen is water-resistant for up to 80 minutes
- Sunscreen lotion goes on easily and absorbs quickly for an invisible, weightless feel
- 6.7-ounce bottle of Neutrogena Beach Defense Water Resistant Sunscreen Lotion for body with SPF 70 that helps...
- Stabilized with Helioplex sunscreen technology that provides superior broad spectrum protection against...
- 3-fluid ounce bottles of Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Dry-Touch Non-Greasy Sunscreen with SPF 45 that helps defend...
- This lightweight sunscreen is fast-absorbing with Dry-Touch technology for a non-greasy, matte finish and is...
- Ideal for everyday use, by adults and children with even the most sensitive skin
- Broad Spectrum UVA / UVB Protection, Water Resistant (80 Minutes)
- 2.5-fluid ounce of Neutrogena Sport Face Oil-Free Lotion Sunscreen with Broad Spectrum SPF 70+ provides...
- Ideal for sport activity, this face sunscreen resists wear off from water, rubbing, sweating or wiping, and is...
- Twin pack
- Beach and Pool
- Water resistant up to 80 minutes
- Easy grip spray can
- CLINICALLY PROVEN UVA/UVB PROTECTION - Broad-spectrum protection protects you from UVA/UVB rays.
- LIGHTWEIGHT BREATHABLE FORMULA - Non-greasy feel won't weigh you down.
- 1.5-ounce Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Non-Greasy Sunscreen Stick with SPF 70 for lightweight broad-spectrum...
- This lightweight sunscreen glides on easily and is specially formulated with Helioplex for superior sun...
Why we should protect ourselves from the sun
Whether you go to the park, the mountain, the beach or on the way to work, the sun will always be a companion on these clear summer days. Therefore, the best thing you can do to enjoy the sun, without damaging your skin, is to protect it as much as you can.
The reason is simple, solar radiation generates progressive wear on our skin, causing premature aging, spots, allergic reactions and, in case of extreme exposure, skin cancer.
The latter is the most serious case and, in Spain alone, approximately 74,000 cases of skin cancer and approximately 4,000 cases of melanoma are estimated annually, and all these are caused by the harmful effects of the sun. Without a doubt, it is a situation that we do not want to live, so the best way to prevent it is to protect ourselves from the sun.
What are the types of sunscreen?
Sunscreens or sunblocks are divided into types according to their components and methods of action. The difference between sunscreen and sunscreen is based on the chemical compounds found in them. Therefore, I wanted to detail them one by one so you can better appreciate their differences.
These are composed of substances such as Oxybenzone, Octinoxate, and Homosalate, which are responsible for absorbing solar radiation to convert it into non-harmful radiation. To do this, they penetrate the deepest layers of the skin and produce the photochemical action from there.
Despite their effectiveness, these are considered as protectors that put the health of the skin at risk, since in skin with skin sensitivity they can cause allergic reactions as well as endocrine problems that, in the long term, can cause skin degeneration.
These types of filters are composed of mineral powders, such as titanium dioxide and zinc oxide, which do not produce side effects on skin health. Both minerals are natural compounds that do not penetrate the skin and are responsible for reflecting the sun’s rays from the outermost layer of the skin.
They are usually thick creams that are applied to the body and leave a white layer on the skin, during the first minutes of application. Its level of protection, in addition to being high, does not cause skin damage, so they are quite recommended.
These are made up of natural elements such as olive or sesame oil, as well as shea butter, aloe vera and avocado. Although its protective effect is usually low, these types of compounds are added to different sunscreens to intensify their action, naturally.
Factors to consider before buying a sunscreen
If you have decided to protect your skin and buy sun cream, there are some factors that you should take into account.
Type of skin
Not all skins require the same level of protection, so you must first evaluate what type of skin you have.
- If you have clear and sensitive skin, it is recommended that you use a powerful blocker, with a thick texture and a sun protection factor (SPF) greater than 30.
- For brown and less sensitive skin, any type of filter with an SPF greater than 15 can be applied.
Age is another important factor since there is a specific type of sunscreen for young children and adults. In the event that you want to apply sunscreen for babies under 6 months, you should take into account the components of the cream and ensure that it is a physical blocker and not a chemical one.
You can find sun creams for the whole body for sale, as well as some that apply only to the face area.
Some of them come as:
- Lip balm.
- Sunscreen for hair.
- Face shield.
- Protector for the whole body.
The more natural ingredients your sunscreen has, the greater the benefits you will give your skin. What I advise you most is to find products that contain aloe vera, zinc and titanium, since they protect your skin from the sun in a natural way.
You can also find some facial sunscreen rich in vitamin E, which will provide protection and hydration at the same time.
Of course, you can always try to make your own sunscreen with natural ingredients: visit the How to prepare a homemade sunscreen article to learn three simple recipes. Although I do not recommend it because you will not have the security and controls of a commercial product.
Waterproof sun cream will help you stay protected from sunlight, even underwater. Not only can you use it when going to the beach or the pool, but for daily use, it is also recommended since its effect remains in your skin despite sweat and moisture. This is something that is necessary on hot summer days or when we exercise outdoors.
The prices of sunscreens have a lot to do with all the factors that I mentioned before.
- The cheapest is usually around 10 euros and come in presentations of 14 to 200 grams.
- While presentations of more than 400 ml, can exceed 20 euros easily.